(a) A coastwise endorsement entitles a vessel to employment in unrestricted coastwise trade, dredging, towing, and any other employment for which a registry, fishery, or Great Lakes endorsement is not required.
(b) A Great Lakes endorsement entitles a vessel to employment in the Great Lakes trade, towing in the Great Lakes, and any other employment for which a registry, fishery, or coastwise endorsement is not required.
(c) If eligible for documentation and not restricted from coastwise or Great Lakes trade by paragraph (d) or (e) of this section, the following vessels are eligible for a coastwise or Great Lakes endorsement or both:
(1) Vessels built in the United States (§67.97);
(2) Forfeited vessels (§67.131);
(3) Vessels granted coastwise trading privileges by special legislation (§67.132);
(4) Wrecked vessels (§67.133);
(5) Captured vessels (§67.134); and
(6) Vessels purchased, chartered, or leased from the Secretary of Transportation by persons who are citizens of the United States (46 U.S.C. app. 808).
(d) A vessel otherwise eligible for a coastwise or Great Lakes endorsement under paragraph (c) of this section permanently loses that eligibility if:
(1) It is thereafter sold in whole or in part to an owner:
(i) Not a citizen as defined in subpart C of this part, or
(ii) Not a person permitted to document vessels pursuant to 46 CFR part 68;
(2) It is thereafter registered under the laws of a foreign country;
(3) It undergoes rebuilding as defined in §67.177 outside of the United States; or
(4) It is a crude oil tanker of 20,000 deadweight tons or above, and after October 17, 1978, has segregated ballast tanks, a crude oil washing system, or an inert gas system installed outside of the United States as defined in §67.3.
(e) A vessel otherwise eligible for a coastwise or Great Lakes endorsement under paragraph (c) of this section loses that eligibility, except as provided in paragraph
(f) of this section, during any period in which it is:
(1) Owned by a corporation which does not meet the citizenship requirements of §67.39(c);
(2) Owned by a partnership which does not meet the citizenship requirements of §67.35(a); or
(3) Mortgaged to a person not identified in §67.233(b). (f) The restriction imposed by paragraph (e)(2) of this section does not apply to any vessel for which the Maritime Administration has given approval for unrestricted transfer pursuant to regulations set forth in 46 CFR part 221.
[CGD 89–007, CGD 89–007a, 58 FR 60266, Nov. 15, 1993; 58 FR 65131, Dec. 13, 1993, as amended by CGD 94–008, 59 FR 49846, Sept. 30, 1994; CGD 94-040, 61 FR 17815, Apr. 22, 1996; USCG–2002–13058, 67 FR 61278, Sept. 30, 2002]