Change of Vessel Name or Hailing Port

Change of Name or Change of Hailing Port

If you are a United States Coast Guard (USCG) vessel owner, you may wonder how to apply for a change of name or hailing port. Fortunately, the process is relatively simple, and this blog post will walk you through all the steps involved. Remember that applications can be made online, and a fee is associated with making changes to your vessel’s documentation. So read on to find out more!

Change of Vessel Name or Hailing Port

The Change of Vessel Name Requirements You Should Know

Did you know that a change of vessel name requires specific documentation and procedures? If you’re thinking about changing your boat’s name, read this post first! Many vessel owners are taken aback when they hear about the strict requirements involved in this procedure. But there’s no need to panic since we’re here to assist you! A few steps and requirements must be met on your end to change the name of your vessel. The following is information that you should be aware of about the renaming of your boat:

Who Can Request a Name Change?

Changing the name of a boat is quite similar to changing your name in many ways. You must present yourself in person at the USCG office or Maritime Documentation Center in your area, fill out the necessary documentation, pay the associated charge, and then wait for a response. You won’t have to obtain any new paperwork with your new name on it, even if it’s the same old documentation with a new name.

This is the crucial distinction. For instance, if you changed the name of your boat from “Ker-plunk” to “Mister Goodbar,” you should still be able to utilize everything from before, including a registration number and a Coast Guard Certificate of Documentation. This is the case even though the name of your boat was formerly “Ker-plunk.” It is only possible to alter the name of your vessel if it satisfies the criteria outlined in section 2 of Title 46 of the United States Code (46 USCS 2).

How Long Must You Wait until the Name Change is Effective?

You can change the boat’s name whenever you like, but the procedures and regulations vary somewhat from one state to the next. In some locations, such as California, you could be required to wait until the vessel has been idle for six months. In some states, such as Pennsylvania, you can do it as soon as you get your new title in the mail before you have to go through the process again.

Check with the agency that manages your registration and ensure you comply with all their criteria. This is the single most crucial step. When all you’re attempting to do is make a straightforward change to your name, the last thing you want is to be hampered by bureaucratic red tape.

The Documentation Needed To Complete the Change of Vessel Name Process

Whether you now own a boat or formerly did, you certainly know how to change its name legally. To comply with federal law, ship owners must give the Coast Guard at least 30 days’ notice before changing the vessel name. To do so, please fill out form CG-6510 and send it to the address below.

Only boats are subject to this law; if your yacht is not registered with the Coast Guard, you are exempt from naming it in line with these regulations. When filling out this form, please provide your vessel’s length (if it is less than 79 feet) or cargo (if it is more than 79 feet) as appropriate. Documentation, such as a bill of sale for your new boat and its registration number, as well as information on your new boat (name, length/tonnage), is required if you want to change your boat’s name after selling it.

The Restrictions on What Names Can Be Chosen

Some rules must be followed while choosing a name for a boat. For instance, there are limitations placed on the kinds of words used for a person’s first and last name. In addition, some naming standards are pretty stringent and apply equally to business boats and pleasure watercraft. There is a common misconception that the name of your vessel must represent its kind or size, its owner or operator, or even the location where you reside.

However, none of these things are required. However, it should be clear whether you want it to be seen as a vessel used for commercial purposes or if its primary function is carrying passengers for recreational purposes. This difference is essential because the official naming convention determines the goals you want to accomplish with the craft. The rules for vessels’ names are constantly changing, so you should call us if you have questions such as, “can you rename a boat?”

How to Change a Hailing Port on a Marine Vessel

Are you looking to change your vessel’s hailing port? Here’s a quick and easy guide on how to do just that! Changing a hailing port can be a great way to indicate to other vessels which part of the country or world you’re sailing in. You probably already know that the term “hail port” is often used in the marine sector to refer to the place of registration or flag for a ship and the location where necessary documentation may be tendered. Listed below are some helpful hints about the procedure:

Check the USCG Regulations for Your Specific Type of Vessel

Assisting in operating a ship may be difficult for anybody, whether or not they are trained sailors. You may check your competence with the aid of established norms and standards. Rules and regulations established by the U.S. Coast Guard are obligatory for vessels transporting goods or people inside the United States. You may not be the captain of your ship, but you can still ensure the crew is keeping it safe by following these suggestions.

The United States Coast Guard does not require all boats and ships to have a USCG-certified captain on board at all times. Before setting sail, you must familiarize yourself with the U.S. Coast Guard’s (USCG) requirements for your vessel’s intended purpose, number of passengers, length of time at sea, and other factors. Before leaving, it’s wise to establish a regular communication schedule with your shore-based support team (many boats will make this one contact every 24 hours).

Notify All Relevant Agencies of Your Plan to Change a Hailing Port

Ensure that no one is waiting for you at the last hailing port you used. If you’re eager to explore your new surroundings or relieved to have reached your destination after days at sea, you can forget this crucial step. Inform any businesses or loved ones who may be waiting for delivery and anybody who may be eager to hear from you again of your change to a hailing port and new arrival time.

In addition to informing the Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection of your new hailing port, you should report any other government agency interested in your whereabouts. This is another procedure that’s easy to overlook, particularly if you have yet to learn which authorities need to be informed of your boat’s new location after a relocation. They need to know where your boat is so they can keep tabs on it and make sure everything goes properly while it’s within their authority.

Change All Your Paperwork

You must submit a completed Change of Hailing Port form before you may switch your hailing port. The marine inspector at your home port will need to sign and stamp this document, which you may get from the U.S. Coast Guard’s website. You must also file a Declaration of Domicile, in which you confirm your current address as being in the state you want to establish as your new primary residence.

Your maritime inspector has signed and stamped this document as well. All other paperwork on board your ship should also be current. You must ensure that any documentation relating to your vessel’s operation, such as licenses, permits, certificates, paperwork, etc., has been updated to reflect your new state of residency and any alterations made at this time (i.e., vessel re-homed).

Update Your Forecast area in Weather Programs and Services

It has been said that you should “plan the job and work the plan.” Establish attainable objectives for yourself and your team, and commit to seeing them through. Make sure you and the rest of your staff are prepared to complete the work by having the necessary equipment, supplies, and training.

Maintaining an up-to-date version of your weather forecasts, services, and software is essential to the success of any project. You must update your weather information with every change in location if you are going to be forecasting the weather on a ship that is continually sailing through new places. Many believe that all is done after they have decided on their path and companies for their program. However, you still need to update your information as regularly as possible. It’s essential to be sure you’re still in compliance with USCG’s change of address requirements, so it is a good idea to check in with them before updating anything else.

Call Us Today

So now that you understand what is involved in the Change of Hailing Port Certification process, we hope you will find our service a truly effective way to meet your needs. Complete the change of vessel name or change of hailing port application and submit it to us. Be sure to follow all directions carefully, as failure may result in delay. All required supporting documentation must be forwarded with the application. For more information on applying for either change of name or a change of port, don’t hesitate to contact the Maritime Documentation Center at (800)-535-8570.