Hailing Port

How to Change Your Vessel Name and Hailing Port at Our Site

“Marad Waiver”, “Preferred Ship Mortgage”, and Hailing Port… If you are new to the boating world there must be some terminologies you are not yet familiar with. Furthermore, the processes to obtain that type of documentation tend to be tedious and time-consuming. In this particular article, the Maritime Documentation Center will explain to you how to change your vessel name and hailing port at our site, and on what occasion you might need to do it.

Definition of Hailing Port

It is important that, before learning how to do something, we know exactly what we are dealing with. So let us start by defining what a hailing port is. Basically, it is the name of the port from which the vessel hails. If your boat is in the Miami Beach Marina, Florida, for example, that will possibly be your hailing port. Furthermore, if your boat is registered by the United States Coast Guard (USCG), it needs to be painted on the stern.

A case may occur in which you need to change this hailing port: maybe you moved from one city to another, or perhaps you bought the boat from someone from a different state. Either way, we got you covered. Let us show you how to do it on our site, the Maritime Documentation Center.

Hailing Port

How to Change Your Hailing Port or Vessel Name at the Maritime Documentation Center

Once you finish reading this article, you will know everything you need to change the name or hailing port of your vessel. On the left side of our home page, you can see all of the documentation that can be obtained at the Maritime Documentation Center. Around the middle, you will find “CHANGE OF VESSEL NAME OR HAILING PORT”. After you press the button, you are going to be redirected to our portal. Rest assured that your privacy will be protected, as our site is fully SSL-encrypted.

When you have your boat documented at the US Coast Guard registry, you gain the right to name your vessel. So the first thing the portal is going to ask is what is the current name of the vessel and its official number. If you intend to change the name, you should write the new name after that, in the following line.

Next, you will need to write your actual hailing port, followed by the new one. After that, all you are going to be asked are details about the vessel like an official number, HIN, etc, and some details about yourself as well.

After that is pretty straightforward. You just need to provide the details about the boat and yourself and voilá. The cost of the document will depend on some factors such as the use of the vessel.

If you are still unsure about how to do it, want to get different documentation, or just want to be informed about vessel documentation, you are in the right place. Our friendly staff at the Maritime Documentation Center has got your back.