Replacement (COD)

Replacement Certificate of Documentation

Replacement certificates of documentation (CODs) are an integral aspect of vessel ownership. Vessel owners must have their COD up-to-date and on board their vessels at all times. A Certificate of Documentation (COD) must be carried by all ships with documentation with the United States Coast Guard (USCG).

The COD is the vessel’s counterpart of a Passport: it gives information about the ship and its owner and the vessel’s status in U.S. waters. The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) requires a quick way to contact the ship’s owners if an accident leaves a vessel stranded or damaged beyond repair. We’re here to help you replace your COD if you ever lose it or it gets damaged.

We’ll also inform you what to do if you have any questions regarding your COD. If you lose your original COD, don’t panic – here are techniques to assist you in receiving a new COD.

Have Your Registration Number and Principal Name Ready

While traveling, you may get an invitation to a formal event or crucial business meeting. Obtaining a new Certificate of Documentation (COD) or a lost boaters license to show that your vessel is legal to enter the port in your home country is a priority if you need to return home quickly. When you contact the U.S. Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Center, they will ask for your registration number and primary name.

Provided you need to know your primary name, the U.S. Coast Guard office may look it up for you if they have your vessel’s registration number. You will also need to enter a fax number where the certificate may be delivered or an email address if you want an electronic version sent as an attachment or in the body of an email message.

Gather Copies of Your Identification Documents

Even if your original birth certificate is lost or destroyed, you can still legally show that you are a citizen of the United States by obtaining a replacement certificate of documentation, often known as a COD. For your application for a COD to be accepted, you must hand it in along with multiple copies of the documentation that demonstrate your CG-1258.

For instance, you will need a copy of the title (if there is one) and its recorded documentation number, in addition to an affidavit signed by the registered owner stating that they no longer possess the original document. You will only need the recorded documentation number if there is no title.

You will also need to provide evidence that you are legally allowed to remain in the United States, such as a driver’s license or a passport, in addition to evidence that may verify your identity, such as a birth certificate or a Social Security card.

Mail or Fax the Completed Application and Supporting Documents

You will go through the same stages in the application process when you are getting ready to put in your application for a replacement COD as you would if you were applying for your first one. However, there are two critical distinctions between the two.

The first change is that from now on, instead of sending everything via regular mail to the United States Coast Guard, you will be sending everything to the Maritime Documentation Center instead.

Having the application and the supporting papers in a single area, rather than having them dispersed over numerous sites, is preferable, even if there is no assurance doing so would speed up the process (the Coast Guard itself and each vessel owner).

Wait For Your Replacement Certificate Of Documentation To Arrive In The Mail!

Refraining from waiting for replacement certificates of documentation is the most common error individuals make. They were instructed to depart without the original COD and are left wondering what happened to it since they weren’t anticipating the replacement. Because of this, they have to worry more about whether or not their visa will be accepted.

Take your time waiting for a new COD if you need one. With this in mind, if you have a trip that requires you to submit all of your papers, be sure to follow the directions on the website of your country’s embassy or consulate carefully. To avoid complications upon arrival, you should receive your new COD before departing.

If you intend to rush into the documentation center for a certificate of documentation replacement, you’ve come to the right place. Maritime Documentation Center has provided clients with Replacement Certificates of Documentation for over ten years. We have a simple, straightforward process that will have your new certificate in your hands in no time. Call us today at (800)-535-8570, and one of our friendly agents will guide you through the process.


Replacement Certificate of Documentation