The form CG 719s or plainly the application for a merchant mariner credential is a credential issued by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) in accordance with guidelines of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers to United States seafarers in order to show evidence of a mariner’s qualifications. In this article, we will tell you a little bit more about the subject, and the information you need to gather in order to complete the document.
Who Needs a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)?
The first question we need to answer if we want to know how to complete the form CG 719s is who exactly will need this type of credential. The answer is pretty straightforward: All mariners employed aboard this type of ship, which has more than 1000 gross register tons. The only ones excepted are operators of uninspected passenger vessels. If you want to work in the merchant marine industry, you will need an MMC certification.
Once the credential has been issued it will then be valid for 5 years. The expiration date will not change even if you add any type of endorsement. The date will only change once the mariner applies for the renewal, and meets all of the asked requirements. If the MMC is expired, a mariner should not be serving under the authority of that credential.
Information you Need to Complete the Document.
Now that you have got an overall idea of what a Merchant Mariner Credential is, and who might need one, it is time for us to tell you the steps you need to take to get one. And that is completing the form CG 719s. This application can be found on the US Coast Guard website, and here’s the information you will need to be able to fill out the document:
- Applicant information. This includes your name, Social security number, reference number (if you were credentialed by the Coast Guard in the past), date and place of birth, and citizenship.
- Contact information. Home and mailing address, primary and alternate phone number, email address, and an alternative way to contact you.
- Emergency contact. Name and mailing address of your next of kin. Relationship, primary and alternate phone number, and email address.
- Requested MMC and endorsement. Check the box that applies to your situation (renewal, duplicate, original, certificate of registry, and raise of grade) and the position you are applying for (entry level, STCW, Qualified Rating, or Officer)
- Safety and Suitability. In this section, you are asked for your Transportation Workers Identification Credential, your Criminal record, and your National Driver Registry.
- Finally, you need to give your consent, sign the document with the date, and submit it.
The Maritime Documentation Center: Boating Paperwork and Much More
Now that you know how to complete the form CG 719s, it is only a matter of printing your application and sending it to the National Maritime Center. If you need help with any other type of boating paperwork, don’t hesitate to contact us. The Maritime Documentation Center will be happy to help you get any vessel document completely online. Contact us today for more information.